It is the policy of the INDOT to limit operations which reduce the number of lanes, reduce the width of lanes, or may otherwise cause congestion to occur on an interstate route. The goal of this policy is to ensure that, whenever possible, construction and maintenance activities on interstate facilities are scheduled to maximize safety and efficiency, and to minimize risks to all users and workers in and around work zones.
This policy has been developed pursuant to federal requirements as outlined in 23 CFR 630 Subpart J and Subpart K to reduce congestion caused by temporary operations on interstate routes and to improve safety for motorists and workers through the thoughtful selection of work hours and strategy. Operations covered under this policy include, but are not limited to; construction, maintenance, utility work, data gathering, and facilitating special events.
- 2017 Interstate Highways Congestion Policy
(Signed January 6, 2017. Effective for RFC dates on or after March 7, 2017)
- 2017 Interstate Highways Congestion Policy Tables
- Change Log
- Updates (Minor updates to the policy will be posted here in the future.)
- Past Versions
- Sign up to receive email notifications about changes to the policy or website.
- Exception Request Form
- Cover Letters and Exception Request Body Templates
- Analysis Tools
- District Contacts for Exception Request Submittals
- Exception Work Flow Chart
- INDOT Traffic Count Database System
- INDOT Interchange Book
Work Zone Safety Links