Certified Technician 2021 will resume as normal. ALL exams will be available in-person on the Last Friday of the Month. Please use the calendar link below Certified Technician Program Registration Calendar section of this page to sign up for a seat at the next exam. New registrations will be available on the first of each month. Current seat capacity will be limited to meet health regulations and guidelines.
INDOT developed the Certified Technician Program (CTP) to increase the number of experienced professionals able to perform construction contract inspections. The Certified Technician Program is comprised of six areas of certification, with each exam lasting three hours:
- Bridge Construction and Deck Repair
- Concrete Paving
- Construction Earthworks
- Construction Procedures 1
- Construction Procedures 2
- Hot Mix Asphalt Paving
Any business performing onsite inspection for INDOT must meet the requirements of their contract with INDOT. Unless otherwise noted in the contract, persons performing onsite inspection for INDOT must meet one of the following criteria:
- Be a Professional Engineer
- Hold a Bachelor degree in Engineering or Construction Management from a regionally accredited university.
- Be certified under the INDOT Certified Technician Program
INDOT is committed to making its programs accessible to individuals with disabilities. If you require an accommodation or special assistance for this program due to a disability, please contact us at Construction Management Support.
Qualifications & Training
To qualify via the Certified Technician Program, an individual must be Certified in the subject matter corresponding to 50% or more of the total work to be done on the project. As an example, the Bridge Construction and Deck Repair certification is required to work on a project for which the total dollar amount for Bridge pay items makes up the majority of the project funding. Certified HMA Field Supervisors must have their Hot Mix Asphalt Paving certification and Certified PCCP Field Supervisors must have their Concrete Paving certification. Certifications are obtained by passing the associated CTP exam with a score of 70% or higher, and individuals are notified by email of their results.
Training manuals are available here for review leading up to the CTP Exam date. A Standard Specifications manual may be used as supplemental reference for an exam and will be made available upon request at the exam site. At the time of the exam, a training manual will be provided for use during the exam. If the exam is not passed, the participant may register to retake the exam on the next scheduled exam date.
The following items are required for use on exams:
- A clean manual, which will be provided at the testing site by INDOT personnel.
- Manuals and/or notes not explicitly provided by INDOT personnel are not allowed on site, and use thereof may result in forfeiture of the exam.
- Additionally, a Spec Book can be made available upon request.
- A physical, single-use, non-programmable scientific calculator, which can be provided by the participant or made available upon request.
- Use of a self-provided, non-compliant calculator (including any calculator app or multi-use device) may result in forfeiture of the exam.
- A #2 Pencil is required to be provided by the participant when taking a paper exam.
- A laptop with WiFi and modern browser is required to be provided by the participant when taking an electronic exam.
- You will be asked to close all applications aside from your browser and to close all browser tabs other than the exam tab.
- Accessing other sites or using other browser tabs or applications during the exam period may result in forfeiture of the exam.
When arriving at the Testing Site:
- Items not required for use on your exam should remain in your vehicle. This includes personal manuals, notes, and electronic devices with the exception of your phone, which must be turned OFF upon entering the testing room.
- You may be asked to remove any non-required items found prior to the exam period.
- If you are seeking a specific exception for medical or personal reasons, please discuss with the Proctor upon entering the testing room.
- Your phone must be turned OFF or be on Silent, not Vibrate, and set face-down at the head of your testing area. Any use of your phone during the exam period may result in forfeiture of the exam unless specifically allowed upon discussion with the Proctor
- Check-in with the Proctor to obtain any INDOT-provided testing items
- INDOT-provided items may not leave the Testing Site premises.
- Any non-required items found during the exam period, independent of their purpose or use unless specifically allowed upon discussion with the Proctor, may result in forfeiture of the exam.
Individuals are responsible for maintaining their Certification records to provide to an employer or INDOT personnel upon request.
- Certifications are obtained by passing the associated CTP exam with a score of 70% or higher
- Individuals will be notified by email of their results.
- The official email containing your exam results may be presented as Proof of Certification
- Upon completion of all exams, a personalized Certified Technician credentials card can be emailed to you upon request. Please refer to the excerpt in your Exam Results letter sent to your email for how to make that request.
State Police Post/INDOT Traffic Management Center
8620 E. 21st. Street
Indianapolis, IN 46219
Map to the testing location
Registration & Payment
The cost of the Certified Technician Program is $100 per exam. The fee is NOT transferable but can be reimbursed if the testing request is cancelled in the registration system by 3 p.m. the day before the exam. Cancellations are available for 60 days from date of registration. Late cancellations may result in loss of payment.
Registration and payment are required by 3pm ET one week prior to the test date, after which registration for that exam is closed.
Preferred payment is by credit card. If payment cannot be made by credit card, email INDOT Talent Management, request an invoice, and provide the participant’s name, email, job title, company name (if applicable), company address (or personal address), telephone and test date, time and exam subject(s). One invoice will be generated per person. The invoice will be sent via email within 5 business days. Payment must be received one week prior to the test date to be eligible to sit for the exam. Reimbursement is available if the invoiced participant cancels via email by 3 p.m. the day before the exam.
Certified Technician Program Registration Calendar
Click here to register for a Certified Technician Exam Date
Certified Technician Calendar now requires you to have an account to register for an Event. Click Sign Up on the Calendar Event page linked above and follow the on screen prompts or email Construction Management Support for more information on creating an Access Indiana Account.
Calendar Registration will be available for enrollment no more than 60 days before the start of Exam Date. Calendar will update on the first of each month to reflect exams currently available for registration. There will be both morning and afternoon sessions available for each exam date.
Certified Technician Program Manuals
Certified Technician Program manuals are available on the page in ERMS. Tests will be conducted off of the November revisions made available therein. Non-final versions will be the most up-to-date, but updates will not be included on the exam until the final November revision of that year. Any manual not marked as a November revision is non-final.
INDOT Construction Management
100 N. Senate Ave
IGCN - Room N925
Indianapolis, IN 46204