Apply for a New License to Carry
Welcome to the Indiana State Police online handgun license application portal. This page will provide an overview of the application process, and a link to get started online.
To apply for a new Indiana License to Carry a Handgun:
- Step 1:
- Complete a Handgun License Application online at the Indiana State Police Handgun Licensing Portal.
Begin Your Application Online
- Step 2:
- Schedule an appointment to submit your fingerprints electronically at a location convenient to you. If you have any questions or concerns, please contact your local law enforcement agency.
Schedule Your Fingerprint Appointment Online Fingerprinting Locations
- ATTENTION: If you are experiencing trouble scheduling a fingerprint appointment for your firearms permit or have a complaint about the firearms permit fingerprint process please email the Indiana Department of Administration at email@example.com
- Step 3:
- Complete local law enforcement (sheriff or municipal police) agency processing within 90 days.
Final Steps ... Visit Your Local Police Agency
Local Processing Required!
Within 90 days you MUST visit your local law enforcement agency and bring your:
- Handgun License Application Number
- Local fee payment
Your application WILL EXPIRE 90 days after you submit the application online. If your application expires, you must update your status:
- Sign in to the Indiana State Police Handgun Licensing Portal.
- Follow the prompts for duplicate/status update.
After you complete Step 1, you will have only 90 days to complete Steps 2 and 3. Once all of the above steps are completed, your application will be electronically transmitted to ISP for final review.
If your application is approved, your permit will be sent to you via U.S. Mail.
If your application is rejected, you will be notified via U.S. Mail and will receive instructions on how to file an appeal.