Logansport State Hospital has a long standing and rich tradition of welcoming practicum students, interns, psychology fellows, nurses and medical students. We offer opportunities for both the 3–4 month internship, as well as the longer 8- 12 month experience. The hospital welcomes associates, bachelors and masters level students in the fields of human services, social work, psychology, nursing and psychiatric medicine. Logansport State Hospital is a teaching, forensic hospital with nationally recognized forensic practitioners and providers available. Some but not all of the learning opportunities include:
- Participating in new employee training
- Participating with a multi-disciplinary treatment team
- Learning how to document patient notes, treatment plans and assessments
- Training in the area and participating in active treatment groups. These groups address a wide range of mental health and substance abuse disorders
- Learning overall concepts about the mental health system including Bureau of Developmental Disabilities Services, Community Mental Health Centers, and competency restoration.
- Attending administrative meetings to learn about the hospitals policies and procedures
All intern and educational inquiries are encouraged to contact the Social Services Director, Director of Nursing, or the Medical Director at 574-722-4141.