The Commission on Seclusion and Restraint in Schools was created by the 2013 Indiana General Assembly. It is a nine member commission made up of parents, representatives of public and nonpublic schools, student and educator advocacy organizations and staff from the Indiana Department of Education. The Commission was assembled to draft rules regarding the limited use of either seclusion or restraint by public, charter and accredited nonpublic schools. In addition, the Commission was charged with creating a model plan to aid schools in the creation of school specific plans.
On October 4, 2019, the Commission posted on the Department of Education's website a PDF and a WORD file for "Model Restraint & Seclusion Plan". This plan is a model only and schools are free to adopt their own plans as they see fit.
However, by July 1, 2014, each public, charter or accredited nonpublic school must adopt a restraint and seclusion plan. Any plan that a public, charter or accredited nonpublic school adopts must contain, at a minimum, the elements listed in Indiana Code 20-20-40-13(a)(2). It is also the Commission's intention to follow up the Model Plan with a user-friendly template that may guide schools in the adoption of a restraint and seclusion plan.
Schools’ obligations to report the instances of the use of seclusion or restraint on a student
Beginning in 2015, all schools must report the number of instances in which either seclusion or restraint is used on a student.
Public School Corporations
Per 513 IAC 1-2-7(e), Public school corporations shall report the number of instances in which either seclusion or restraint is used in its annual performance report required by IC 20-20-8-3.
Per 513 IAC 1-2-7(f), a charter school's sponsor shall report the number of instances in which a charter school has reported the use of either seclusion or restraint in its annual report, described in IC 20-24-9-1.
Accredited non-public schools
Per 513 IAC 1-2-7(g), each accredited nonpublic school shall report, in writing, the number of instances in which either seclusion or restraint is used in its school to its governing authority.
- Model Restraint & Seclusion Plan PDF English | Spanish
- Model Restraint & Seclusion Plan Word English | Spanish
- Policy with Respect to Public Comment
- Adoption of Robert's Rules of Order
- Electronic Participation Policy
- Meeting Minutes Policy
- Online Form: Reports Related to the Use of Seclusion & Restraint
- Printout Forms: Reports Related to the Use of Seclusion & Restraint - English | Spanish
Meeting Posts, Agendas and Minutes
- 2022, 2020 and 2019
- 2018, 2017 and 2016
- 01/08/2018 Meeting Notice Cancellation
- Meeting and Agenda - 12/19/2017
- Meeting and Agenda - 11/17/2017
- Meeting and Agenda - 10/05/2017
- Meeting and Agenda - 09/05/2017
- Meeting and Agenda - 07/31/2017
- Meeting and Agenda - 07/13/2017
- Meeting and Agenda - 05/02/17
- Meeting and Agenda - 02/16/2017
- 2015, 2014 and 2013