Language Translation
  Close Menu

Types of Resident Licenses

This section defines the various types of producer licenses available.

Insurance Producer

An insurance producer is any individual, corporation, association, partnership, limited liability company, limited liability partnership or legal entity required to be licensed under the laws of Indiana to sell, solicit or negotiate insurance.

Access Resident Agent Licensing Requirements

Access Resident Agency Licensing Requirements

Surplus Lines Insurance Producer

A surplus lines insurance producer is any individual, corporation, association, partnership, limited liability company, limited liability partnership or other legal entity who or which sells, solicits, negotiates or procures insurance business from an insurance company not licensed to transact business in Indiana.  The insurance policy must be one that cannot be procured from insurers licensed to do business in Indiana. Any applicant for a surplus lines producer license must file with IDOI.

Access Surplus Line Producers Licensing Requirements

Limited Lines Producer

A limited lines producer is an individual corporation, association, partnership, limited liability company, limited liability partnership, or other legal entity which sells, solicits or negotiates one of the following limited lines: travel accident, travel baggage, prearranged funeral, crop hail, credit, title, or similar limited lines allowed by the Commissioner.


A consultant is an individual, corporation, limited liability company, association, partnership or other legal entity who or which, for a fee holds himself or itself out to the public as engaged in the business of offering any advice, counsel, opinion or service with respect to the benefits, advantages or disadvantages promised under any policy of insurance that could be issued in this state.

Consultants may not continue to hold an insurance producer or limited lines producer license, once licensed as a consultant. No licensed consultant may employ, be employed by, be in a partnership with or receive any remuneration whatsoever from any licensed insurance producer, surplus lines insurance producer, limited lines producer or insurer, except that a consultant may be compensated by an insurer for providing consulting services to the insurer. No consultant license is required for the following:

  • Attorneys licensed to practice law in Indiana acting in their professional capacity
  • A duly licensed insurance producer or surplus lines insurance producer
  • A trust officer of a bank acing in the normal course of his/her employment
  • An actuary or a certified public accountant who provides information, recommendations, advice or services in her/his professional capacity.

Prior to rendering any service, a consultant must submit for the commissioner's approval the written agreement intended for use.

To apply for the Consultant license, the individual must complete all requirements of the particular class of insurance the individual is applying for, and mail the NAIC Uniform Paper Application and application fee to the IDOI Producer Licensing Division. Under the "Jurisdiction and Type of License Requested" section of the paper application, the individual should write that the individual is seeking a "Consultant" license (NOT a Producer license) under "License Type," or otherwise clearly write on the application that the individual is seeking the Consultant license.