Volatile Organic Compounds
Volatile Organic Compounds include the EPA regulated Drinking Water Volatile Organic Contaminants and Total Trihalomethanes. This test also includes compounds commonly found in gasoline.
Many of these volatile organic compounds are suspected human carcinogens.
- Private citizens using well water or water from a public water utility
- Public Water Utilities for VOC compliance
- Public Water Utilities for TTHM (Total Trihalomethane) compliance
$75.00 per kit. One kit is needed for each faucet/sample.
Sample Containers -- 40mL screw cap vials each equipped with a PTFE-faced silicon septum. Solid preservatives will be in each vial.
One kit for one faucet contains:
- Instruction form
- Analysis request form
- 2 – 40 mL vials.
Order kits using the link below:
Access Indiana: Home
- Collect all samples in duplicate.
- Fill sample bottles to overflowing, but take care not to flush out the solid preservatives.
- No air bubbles should pass through the sample as the bottle is filled or be trapped in the sample when the bottle is sealed.
- Seal the sample bottles and shake vigorously for 1 min.
The samples must be chilled to 4°C on the day of collection and maintained at that temperature until analysis. Field samples that will not be received at the laboratory on the day of collection must be packaged for shipment with sufficient ice to ensure that they will be at 4°C on arrival at the laboratory.
Indiana Department of Health
550 W. 16th Street, Suite B
Indianapolis, In 46202
Results will be e-mailed to the submitter within 21 business days.
Please email IDOHCHemistryLab@health.in.gov