QuantiFERON-TB Gold Plus (Single Tube) Testing
QuantiFERON-TB Gold Plus (single tube collection) Specimen Collection, Packaging & Shipping
- Required specimen: Whole blood collected in lithium-heparin tube
- Minimum volume required: 5 mL
- Specimens lacking complete information will not be tested until the missing information has been provided.
- Specimens must be received at the lab within 12 hours if shipped at ambient temperature (17-25°C). Samples shipped on ice packs must be shipped to the lab to be received within 48 hours. Tubes must be received cold and should not be frozen.
- Lithium-heparin blood collection tubes (must not be expired)
- Blood collection supplies
- Category B shipping materials (insulated shipper, with ice packs) meeting UN3373 Biological Substances standards
QFT kits can be ordered from the IDOH Containers Department through LimsNet or by emailing Containers@health.IN.gov.
- Label the tube with the patient name, DOB, and date and time of collection, including a minimum of two unique identifiers on the tube.
- Fill a lithium-heparin blood collection tube with a minimum of 5 mL of blood and gently mix by inverting the tube several times to dissolve the heparin. Tubes should be at room temperature (17-25° C) at the time of collection.
- After collection, blood tubes may be held at room temperature (17-25°C) for up to 3 hours prior to refrigeration.
- Ensure the collection tube is capped securely. Leaking specimens are unacceptable for testing and will be discarded.
- Complete the LimsNet test request for QuantiFERON-TB, ensuring that the patient information on the specimen tube matches the information entered into the submission form.
Ship specimens to:
Indiana Department of Health Laboratory
Attn: TB Lab
550 W. 16th St. - Suite B
Indianapolis, IN 46202
- Place the blood collection tubes in the specimen transport bag with absorbent material. Seal the bag using the adhesive at the top.
- Store the LimsNet coversheet in the outer pouch of the specimen transport bag or outside of the Styrofoam box to prevent contamination from the specimen.
- Place the specimen transport bag and frozen ice packs inside of the Styrofoam box and close the outer shipping box.
- The outer shipping box should be labelled using an IDOH 6A label and then placed inside of the UPS Laboratory Pak bag.
- Complete the pre-addressed shipping label and affix it to the outer packaging with a return address and appropriate shipping labels. Specimens may be shipped via commercial service, such as UPS or FedEx. Alternatively, specimens may be delivered to IDOH in-person during normal business hours.
- Specimens should be shipped to arrive at IDOH Monday through Friday. Specimens should not be shipped to be in transit during the weekend or holiday.
- All patient specimens should be labeled, packaged and shipped in accordance with federal shipping regulations, using Biological Substances, Category B.
- Results will be reported by LimsNet and will be available in 3-5 business days.
- Results will be reported as Positive, Negative or Indeterminate as per the manufacturer's reporting criteria.
- Additional information on result interpretation and specimen collection can be found at: https://www.quantiferon.com/us/products/quantiferon-tb-gold-plus-us/package-inserts/.
$20, or provide valid insurance information