The following activities require a permit from the Division
- Drilling, deepening, operating, or converting a well for oil and gas purposes
- Transferring a permit to operate a well for oil and gas purposes
- Drilling a test hole for fluid disposal investigation, engineering project investigation, or geologic investigation
- Temporarily abandoning a well
The following general requirements apply to all applications
- If the operator is going to conduct business as a corporation, limited partnership, or limited liability company registration with the office of the Indiana Secretary of State is required. Registration information can be obtained online or by calling 317-232-6576.
- All operators must have an Organizational Report on file with the division prior to receiving permits. The person who signs the application must appear as a signatory in Parts V or VI of the Organizational Report.
- All applications must contain original signatures
- The operator, or an officer, partner, or director of the operator may not have had a permit revoked and may not be in violation at the time of receiving a permit except as specified in 312 IAC 29-4-7.
- The survey for Class II wells must show all existing and plugged wells within 1/4 mile of the proposed injection well.
- Proposed well construction must meet the requirements of 312 IAC 29-20.
- Permit transfers require original signatures of both the current and new operator
- Cash bonds must be in the form of a Certified or Cashiers check made out to the Department of Natural Resources
The following grid shows the application requirements for each type of permit.
|Type of Permit||Application||Bond||Survey||Fluid Analysis||Fee||Public Notice||Facility Diagram||Mechanical Integrity Test|
|Oil, Gas, Gas Storage, Structure Test, and Water Supply permits||See Bonding Surety, Blanket, with Acknowledgment Cash or CD with Verification||Yes unless on file||No||Yes $250 (Add $500 for expedited permitting);||No||No||No|
|Class II permits||Application for|
|See Bonding Surety, Blanket, with Acknowledgment Cash or CD with Verification||Yes||Yes||Yes $250||Yes||Yes||Yes after construction|
|Noncommercial Gas permits||Application for|
|See Bonding Personal Surety||Yes unless on file||No||Yes $250||Yes||No||No|
|Permit Transfer||Application for|
|See Bonding Surety, Blanket, with Acknowledgment Cash or CD with Verification||No||No||Yes ($15 ea. for up to 50 transfers and $10 ea. for each transfer over 50)||No||No||No|
|Individual Test Hole permits||Application for|
Test Hole Permit
|County Test Hole permits||Application for|
Test Hole Permit
|Yes County Test Hole Bond with Acknowledgment||No||No||Yes ($100)||No||No||No|
|Temporary Abandonment permits||Application for Temporary Abandonment||No||No||No||No||No||No||Yes for wells older than 2 years|
|Fluid Storage Facility permits||Application for|
All of the forms listed in this chart can also be obtained from the Forms page.
The last Indiana General Assembly passed changes to the bonding provisions of IC 14-37-6 as follows:
- Individual bond amount changed from $2,000 to $2,500
- Blanket bond amount changed from $30,000 to $45,000
- Bonding is required for wells where:
- The applicant does not have a 2-year history of operation with the division; or
- The applicant has had a permit revoked; or
- The applicant has not paid their annual well fee from a previous assessment
- The applicant has any unpaid civil penalty assessments
Applicants for permits or permit transfers required to submit or maintain a bond under Item 3 above must submit the bond to the division with the application.
Questions regarding the bonding requirements should be forwarded to Jim AmRhein at 317-232-6961 or jamrhein@dnr.IN.gov