Announcement: CPI/CPS Portal Goes Live June 4, 2018
Effective Monday, June 4, 2018, the Indiana Department of Child Services will move to an online portal for all submissions to the Central Office Background Check Unit of the:
- Indiana Child Protective Service (CPS) history checks
- Expanded Child Protective Index (CPI) history checks, as well as
- Out of State Child Welfare Agency requests regarding information to assist with that state’s ongoing investigation/assessment.
Organizations of all types make numerous requests annually from DCS to verify child protective histories as required by law. The new “CPI/CPS Portal” is a single location, simplifying the process, securing personal and confidential information and streamlining the COBCU business process. With the use of the “CPI/CPS Portal,” we aim to eliminate wasteful duplicate submissions and incomplete requests, while expanding communication to all parties involved.
As of Monday, June 4, 2018, all CPI and CPS history checks, as well as, Out of State Child Welfare Agency requests to Central Office Background Check Unit for DCS information will be required to be submitted and complete through the electronic portal and paper forms will no longer be accepted after 4:30 pm, EST, Friday, May 25, 2018.
“CPI/CPS Portal Registration” - The “CPI/CPS Portal” is the newest member of the DCS “MaGIK Gateway.” Organizations not already established to access the DCS “MaGIK Gateway” will be required to register. A new link to the “CPI/CPS Registration” will be available, no sooner than Monday, June 4th.
“CPI/CPS Portal” functionality allows for:
- Requesting Organization uses “Create New Request” from the “Organization CPI/CPS Dashboard.”
- Basic information about the Organization to auto-populated the request, along with Contact Information.
- Requesting Organization enters minimum verifiable data for the Applicant, including Legal Name, Date of Birth, SSN, Email Address, and Phone Number.
- Upon submission, the Applicant receives email notifications to log into the “CPI/CPS Portal.”
- Upon logging into the portal, the Applicant completes additional required fields including alternate names used and past addresses.
- The Applicant is required to consent to the history check prior to the request moving forward.
- The Requesting Organization is notified by email, as well as on the “Organization CPI/CPS Dashboard.”
- The Requesting Organization reviews the Applicant information, and has the option:
- Return it to the Applicant for correction or additional data, or
- Provide the Requesting Organization Consent and Submit.
- Email notification alerts the Requesting Organization and Applicant that DCS Central Office of Background Check Unit (COBCU) received the request.
- Email notification alerts the Requesting Organization and Applicant that DCS COBCU has completed the review and the results are available by logging into the secure “CPI/CPS Portal."
- The Requesting Organization and Applicant have an opportunity to print a copy of the results or save a copy of an Adobe .pdf.
If you require technical assistance with the CPI/CPS Portal, please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org or contact us by phone at 1-800-225-9173 between the hours of 8 am to 5 pm EST. Assistance is available Monday – Friday, except for State Holidays.
Who are already established Requesting Organizations?
Indiana School Corporations, Public and Non-Public Schools will use the “CPI/CPS Portal” as a Requesting Organization. DCS will pre-register and establish “Organization Profiles” for all of the schools identified by Indiana Department of Education. - No Registration Required! On June 4th, all Superintendents and Principals of the schools in the State of Indiana will receive a welcome email containing a link to the “MaGIK Gateway” where they will be able to create a password for access. Upon logging into the “MaGIK Gateway,” these “User Admins” will be able to “Add Users” allowing additional staff to access the “CPI/CPS Check” for their school. Each User will then receive an email to create a secure, unique password.
Existing DCS “MaGIK Gateway - KidTraks Vendors” will have direct, online access to the “CPI/CPS Portal” from the menu bar - No Registration Required! On June 4th, existing "User Admins" may establish "CPI/CPS Organization Users" directly through their corresponding "Vendor Profile."
Who are not pre-established Requesting Organizations?
Non-KidTraks Vendors or Newly Formed Organizations will be required to complete a one-time registration process to become an Organization through the “CPI/CPS Organization Registration” page. This link will become available on June 4th. Once established as a User, the agency will have the same functionality as other existing Requesting Organizations. A corresponding “Organization CPI/CPS Dashboard” will be made available to initiate and track requests in process.
Out of State Child Welfare Agencies will be required to complete a one-time registration process to become an Organization through the “CPI/CPS Organization Registration” page. This link will become available on June 4th. Once established as a User, the agency will have the same functionality as other existing Requesting Organizations. A corresponding “Organization CPI/CPS Dashboard” will be made available to initiate and track requests in process.
Additional materials regarding the “CPI/CPS Portal” registration process will be made available the week of May 28, 2018. Continue to monitor our site for new resources in the upcoming weeks. The registration link will be made available from this site on June 4th.
Do Applicants and/or Parents/Legal Guardians need to register to use the “CPI/CPS Portal”?
Applicant and/or Parents/Legal Guardians do not need to register to use the “CPI/CPS Portal.” Temporary, unique passwords and links are made available through the notification emails. When used in conjunction with the Applicant’s last four digits of their Social Security Number, provide for full access to the request and the confidential information within.
How will DCS Local County Offices continue their processing of CPI/CPS history checks?
There are no changes today. DCS Local County Office will not register for the “CPI/CPS Portal.” Paper forms utilizing a revised version of the “Indiana Request for a Child Protection Services (CPS) History Check" SF 52802, with a new revision number and accompanying instructions will be made available on this website. This revised form will only be accepted and submitted through the DCS Local County Offices beginning June 1, 2018.