Background Checks for Department of Child Services (DCS)
The Indiana Department of Child Services engages with families and collaborates with state, local and community partners to protect children from abuse and neglect and to provide child support services. DCS does this by partnering with families and communities to provide safe, nurturing and stable homes. DCS, pursuant to Federal and Indiana law, requires criminal and civil checks for those who reside or have direct contact with children under the supervision of DCS.
Specifically, Federal and Indiana law as well as DCS Policy requires the following checks to be completed with acceptable results returned:
- Fingerprint-Based National and State Criminal History Checks;
- Child Protective Services (CPS) History Checks;
- National Sex Offender Registry Checks;
- Local Criminal Court Record Checks.
DCS Central Office Background Check Unit (COBCU) responsibilities include but are not limited to the evaluation of criminal and civil check of the following:
- DCS Unlicensed Out-of-Home Placement;
- DCS Foster Family Home Licensing;
- DCS Adoptions;
- Employment or Volunteers with a DCS Licensed Residential Facility, Group Home or Licensed Child Placing Agency (LCPA); and
- Employment or Volunteers with DCS Contractor or Subcontractor Individuals or Agencies.
For all criminal history checks unrelated to an above DCS category within Indiana, please contact the Indiana State Police or visit their website at https://www.in.gov/isp/3257.htm.
Please click one of the below links for additional information on that topic.
- CPI/CPS Portal/Child Protective Index Checks/Child Protection Service History Checks/CANS/Adam Walsh Checks/Out of State Child Welfare Agency
- Additional information for out of state child welfare agencies requesting information related to ongoing investigations/assessments in their state.
- Out-of-State CPS Contact List
- CPI/CPS Portal Frequently Asked Questions
- National Sex Offender Registry Checks
- Conducting Local Criminal Court Record Checks (revised 10/1/21)
- DCS Contractor and Subcontractor Tools
- National and State Fingerprint Based Criminal History Check
- Fingerprint Registration Instructions (effective 5/8/2023)
- Fingerprint location closures and updates to locations (updated 9/29/2023)
- Processing Time for Out-of-State CPS Checks
- Out-of-State CPS Background Check Assistance
- Contact Us