You need an automobile auction license if your primary business is arranging, managing, sponsoring, advertising, hosting, carrying out, or otherwise facilitating the auction of more than three (3) motor vehicles or watercraft within a twelve (12) month period.
We encourage those wanting to obtain their automobile auction license in the State of Indiana to review the applicable state statutes (Indiana Code 9-32) and administrative rules (Indiana Administrative Code Title 75) regarding dealer licensing. Indiana statutes and rules can be found on the General Assembly’s website at iga.in.gov.
Please be sure to fill the application out completely and submit all required documents with the application. Failure to include required information or documents can delay the processing of your application.
The following must be submitted with the completed application.
- Background Check *
- Business Entity Documentation (INBiz)
- Certificate of Insurance
- Indiana Vehicle Merchandising Certificate/Bond (SF 53966)
- License Fee
- Photo Identification
- Photos of the Location
- Retail Merchant Certificate (Indiana Dept. of Revenue)
- Zoning Affidavit (SF 55936)**
*Background check results more than 60 days old at the time the application is submitted will not be accepted.
**Zoning Affidavits signed by a zoning official more than 90 days prior to the date the application is submitted will not be accepted.
Exemptions are available for some requirements. Questions should be submitted to email@example.com.
- Cannot be a residence or temporary location
- Able to accept mail delivery*
- Must be :
- in Indiana
- accessible by the public
- Physical location:
- Conspicuous, permanent sign in the same name that is on your license
- Customer parking
- Display space for at least 10 vehicles
- 100 sq ft (minimum)
- Functioning utilities
- Overall reflective of a functional auto auction
*an exception is available if your location is not serviced by USPS
Dealer Account Helpline: 317-576-2568