- Skip Navigation

Note: This message is displayed if (1) your browser is not standards-compliant or (2) you have you disabled CSS. Read our Policies for more information.

Division of Student Financial Aid


Show All Answers

1. How did I get this financial aid award and what do I do with it?

If you filled out the FAFSA and indicated you are a resident of Indiana then the information was sent to SFA. You do not have to do anything with it as long as the financial aid award is for the correct college. The college has been notified and it will credit your account if you are eligible. The award can only be used for tuition.

2. How do I apply for state financial aid?

The Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) must be received by the Federal Processor for state financial aid consideration after January 1 but on or before March 10 each year. The FAFSA may be filed online at

3. Can this financial aid award be used at an out-of-state institution?

No, the award may only be used at eligible Indiana colleges and universities. Please visit the list of Eligible Indiana Colleges to view those colleges and universities currently participating in Indiana award and scholarship programs.

4. My financial aid award isn't for the correct college, what do I do?

5. After requesting a change of college, why did my financial aid award go down or get withdrawn completely?

SFA financial aid awards are calculated based on tuition only and tuition varies between colleges. Your new college choice may have a different tuition rate than your previous selection. Contact the financial aid department at your school for information on the tuition rate at your school and how it impacts your state financial aid award amount.

6. Why didn't I get state financial aid?

Visit our eStudent website to view your application materials. Reasons for not receiving an award may include:

  • Awards are based on financial need and you did not show need at your chosen college
  • You did not correct one or more FAFSA edits by SFA’s Edit Correction Deadline of May 15
  • You and/or your parents, if you are a dependent student, are not Indiana residents; or you are an independent student and not a resident of Indiana
  • You have exhausted your eligibility for financial aid (eight semesters at a semester school or the equivalent at a quarter or trimester school)
  • You have previously received a degree
  • You did not file the FAFSA by the March 10 receipt date deadline

7. I received an award notice that showed a certain dollar amount; later, I received another award notice that indicated my award amount was changed or completely withdrawn why?

The college has a verification process mandated by the federal government in which it must verify information on the FAFSA. The number of FAFSA forms verified varies between colleges, but it must equal at least 30 percent of all FAFSAs received at that college. Colleges are also free to verify more than the mandated 30 percent of applications if they so choose. If the verification of your FAFSA results in any change, the college is required to send SFA this information which may result in a revision or withdrawal of your state financial aid.

    8. Do I have to pay back the money for this financial aid award?

    No; however, you must maintain the required enrollment. If you drop classes or withdraw completely, your state financial aid award can be reduced or withdrawn, even after the college has applied it to your bill.

    9. What role does SFA play in 529 plans?

    SFA reviews the 529 application. If the Parent Contribution from Assets is zero, there is no adjustment to be made to the student's FAFSA. However, if there is an amount listed in the Parent Contribution from Assets section, SFA calls the institution that is listed on the FAFSA and requests the institution run a simulation to determine if the Parent Contribution changes. If there is a change to the Parental Contribution, SFA will manually change the student's record.