Close Menu

Consumer Frequently Asked Questions

I think my CPA overcharged me for some work. Does the Board regulate fees charged by CPA's?

  • The Board does not have the authority to regulate fees.

My CPA did not file my taxes in a timely manner, and now the IRS is assessing monetary penalties. I wish to receive restitution. Can the Board force the CPA and/or the accounting firm to pay these penalties?

  • No. The Board's main objective is to determine if the licensee or licensed accounting firm violated the accountancy statutes and rules. If the conduct of the CPA or licensed accounting firm costs the consumer money, the consumer should file a civil lawsuit against that individual or firm.

How do I file a complaint?

What happens after I file a complaint?

  • Once the complaint is filed, the OAG will investigate and may file a formal complaint with the Board. Before that point and throughout the investigation, all consumer complaints remain confidential, even from the Board.

Is disciplinary action available to the public?

  • Yes. After a formal complaint has been filed, it is available to view through the PLA website. Any documentation as to the final outcome of the complaint will also be posted on the website.

How can I get a copy of the Statutes and Rules?

If you have any other questions, feel free to email us at pla14@pla.in.gov.

NOTICE: This page is designed to be a general guide for consumers regarding the accountancy profession regulated by the Indiana Board of Accountancy and the Indiana Professional Licensing Agency. It is not intended to be offered as legal advice, and it may contain typographical errors. The Indiana Board of Accountancy and the Indiana Professional Licensing Agency are prohibited from providing legal advice on issues contained herein. For legal advice, please consult an attorney. To obtain official copies of the Indiana Code of Indiana Administrative Code, contact your nearest public library or visit the website of the Indiana General Assembly at www.in.gov/legislative.