Language Translation
  Close Menu

International Registration Plan

The International Registration Plan (IRP) is an agreement between all states and Provinces of Canada that allow the proportional registration of fleets of vehicles. Its purpose is to issue one registration plate and cab card to each fleet vehicle rather than display multiple plates and cab cards for each state a fleet vehicle would travel. The apportioned plate allows both interstate and intrastate movement.

The following vehicles are required to register if they travel in two or more IRP member jurisdictions:

  1. Power units having 3 or more axles regardless of weight;
  2. Vehicles having a gross weight in excess of 26,000 pounds;
  3. Vehicles having a registered gross weight in excess of 26,000 pounds;
  4. Vehicles used in combination when the gross weight of the combination exceeds 26,000 pounds.

Exemption from apportioned registration applies to the following types of vehicles as applicable agreements, understandings, or declarations so provide.

  1. Buses used in the transportation of chartered parties.
  2. Commercial vehicles traveling entirely intrastate.
  3. Commercial vehicles displaying restrictive plates that have geographic area, mileage, or commodity restrictions.
  4. Farm registered vehicles based and registered in a jurisdiction which is a member of the IRP and owned by an individual who is engaged in farming and used by such owner to transport agricultural products produced by the owner, or property purchased by the owner for use on his farm.
  5. Government- owned vehicles.
  6. Recreational vehicles used for personal pleasure or travel by an individual or family and not used in connection with any business endeavor.

Indiana has four commonly used restricted/exempt license plates, which are exempt from the IRP and reciprocity should be granted by IRP jurisdictions. Paper license plates are restricted from hauling out of state .

The restricted license plates are:

  1. Dealer Plate used by persons engaged in the business of manufacturing, buying, or selling motor vehicles.
  2. Manufacturer Plate for those persons engaged in the business of constructing or assembling motor vehicles.
  3. Transport Operator Plate used by persons engaged in the business of providing drivers and operators, for the purpose of transporting vehicles from one place to another by the drive away or tow away methods; or any nonresident dealer, manufacturer engaged in such operation or business, or any business, or any business which prepares their own newly purchased vehicles and delivers them to the locations where the vehicles will be based, titled and registered.
  4. Special Machinery Plates used for implements of husbandry, well drilling equipment, ensilage cutters, paint spray outfit, livestock dipping equipment, seeding cleaning and treating equipment, and other farm related machinery.

Four types of temporary IRP registrations can be issued.

  1. Sixty-Day Temporary Permits are issued to vehicles currently registered or in process of registration in an established IRP fleet. Qualified IRP Registrants may use the permits when there may be a delay in completing a transaction or where the carrier is converting an Indiana base plate to an apportioned plate.
  2. Three Day Trip Permits (72 hours) are offered to all out-of-state carriers that have not proportionately registered in Indiana and are properly registered and insured in their base state. Qualifying out-of-state carriers can operate in or drive through the state without having to proportionally register for Indiana. Must be carried in vehicle at all times when operated in state.
  3. Hunter’s Permits allow an owner-operator to operate a commercial motor vehicle, in intrastate and interstate travel at the unladen weight, between Lessors, in search of employment. The permit is for use by the owner and operator of the vehicle. The permit is good for 30 days.
  4. Yard Tractor Permits are issued to non-apportioned tractors that are employed to move semi-trailers from one point to another at a terminal site, a loading site, or a spotty facility. Any tractor operating with a Yard Tractor Permit is ineligible to carry cargo, transport, or draw a semi-trailer or other vehicle on a public highway . Operating the designated Yard Tractor on any public highway shall result in impoundment of the vehicle.

Wire Services

Indiana’s IRP authorizes several service bureaus to issue permits. The type of permit a particular bureau offers is shown under their respective company names.

Jet Permit, LTD
Three Day Trip Permits/Sixty Day Temporary Registration Permits
P.O. Box 349
Hales Corners, WI 53130
1.800.788.0603 outside WI
1.414.425.7471 inside WI
Transceiver United, Inc (Comdata)
Three Day Trip Permits/Sixty Day Temporary Registration Permits
1421 Champion, Suite 101
Carrollton, TX 75006
Tel-Trans National Permit Service
Sixty Day Temporary Registration Permits
3250 North Post Road, Suite 150
Indianapolis, IN 46226
1.800.428.5421 outside IN

For further information contact:

Indiana Department of Revenue
Motor Carrier Services Division
IRP Section
7811 Millhouse Road, Suite M
Indianapolis, IN 46241

 Top FAQs