Resources for Providers
Newborn Screening Resources for Providers
- Birthing Facility Outreach Toolkit Version 4
- Contains newborn screening policies and best practices.
- Maintaining a Centralized Program
- Standard form to be filled out by birthing facility staff and sent to GNBS Program after any changes of birthing facility staff occurs.
- Genomics and Newborn Screening (GNBS) Technique References
- Describes the process for performing each of the newborn screenings.
- EHDI Policy Manual
- Early Hearing Detection and Intervention Program's manual. Last revised 2019.
- NBS Lab Change of Information Form
- To be utilized by birthing facility staff, midwife or physician in the case that a newborn's information on the Newborn Screening Card sent to the NBS Lab needs to be updated or corrected.
Newborn Screening Resources for your Patients
- NBS Keepsake Handout (en español)
- Describes all three newborn screens and includes a keepsake area to document the results of each screen. This keepsake should be provided to the family by the birthing facility.
- Heel Stick Bloodspot Handout (en español)
- Educates about Heel Stick Screening.
- Pulse Oximetry Handout (en español)
- Educates about CCHD Screening through Pulse Oximetry.
- Hearing Screen Handout (en español)
- Educates about Hearing Screening.
- After Newborn Screening Brochure (en español)
- This should be provided to the family by the birthing facility to educate the family about the heel stick dried blood spot storage options.
- Genomics and Newborn Screening Timeline
- Visually maps out the history of newborn screening in Indiana.
- NBS Conditions List
- List of all conditions screened through newborn screening in Indiana.
Birth Defect Resources for Providers
- 2020 National Birth Defects Prevention Month Toolkit
- Provides health care professionals and families with information about birth defect prevention.
- Indiana Birth Defects and Problems Registry(IBDPR) Physician Reporting Portal
- Instructional document for physicians that walks through how to sign up for access and report conditions to the IBDPR Physician Reporting Portal within INSTEP.
- IBDPR Reportable Conditions 2021
- List of all conditions that should be reported by physicians to the IBDPR.
Birth Defect Resources for your Patients
- Indiana Birth Defects and Problems Registry Brochure (en español)
- Educates families about what the IBDPR is, what it does, and what happens to their child's information.
Related Websites for Providers
- ACMG - Newborn Screening ACT Sheets
- Baby's First Test - Training Materials for Providers
- Early Hearing Detection and Intervention (EHDI) Program
- Genomics Education Materials
- National Human Genome Research Institute
- National Library of Medicine Genetics Home Reference
- Midwest Genetics Network (MGN) Region 4
- Medline Plus Medical Encyclopedia
- STAR-G (Screening, Technology, and Research in Genetics)
Page last revised 2/22/2021 by JHaller