The OB Navigator program is a collaboration between the Indiana State Department of Health (ISDH), the Indiana Family and Social Services Administration (FSSA) and the Indiana Department of Child Services (DCS). This initiative will build a network of services and support to wrap our arms around moms and babies to create healthier outcomes for both. It was established by House Enrolled Act 1007, which was signed into law by Gov. Eric Holcomb in 2019.
The goal of this program is to identify women early in their pregnancies and connect them with an OB navigator – a home visitor who provides personalized guidance and support to a woman during her pregnancy through at least the first six to 12 months after her baby’s birth. To begin that effort, the program will work to connect pregnant women who are covered by Medicaid in our highest-risk areas to services in their communities.
This initiative is an important step in our efforts to lower Indiana’s infant mortality and maternal mortality rates.
Community engagement events
OB Navigator implementation begins with a series of community meetings involving all stakeholders, including hospitals, home visiting programs and the public. These events will include a discussion of infant mortality in Indiana, program details and a question and answer session.
The following meetings have been set, and this schedule will be updated as more details are available:
- Allen County: 4 p.m., Aug. 14, Ivy Tech Community College, Room 1640, Fort Wayne Coliseum Campus, 3800 N. Anthony Blvd., Fort Wayne
- Clark County: 10 a.m., Sept. 19, Clark Memorial Hospital Conference Center (lower level), 1220 Missouri Ave., Jeffersonville
- Lake County: 10 a.m., CT, Oct. 1, Geminus Corporation, Rooms B15 & B16, 8400 Louisiana St., Merrillville
- Grant, Delaware, Madison and Henry counties: 10 a.m., Oct. 24, Open Door Health Services, Community Room 2, 333 S. Madison St., Muncie
- Martin, Dubois and Crawford counties: 10 a.m., Nov. 1, Memorial Hospital, 800 W 9th St., Jasper
- St. Joseph County: 10 a.m., Nov. 6, St. Joseph Regional Medical Center, Ed Center D., 5215 Holy Cross Parkway, Mishawaka
- LaPorte County: 10 a.m., CT, Nov. 18, LaPorte County Public Library, Community Room B, 904 Indiana Ave., La Porte
- Marion County: 10 a.m., Dec. 4, Glendale Branch Library, 6101 North Keystone Ave., Indianapolis
- Shelby County: 3:00 p.m., Dec. 17, Major Hospital Administration Building, 2325 Intelliplex Dr., Shelbyville
- Blackford, Jay and Randolph counties: Jan. 13, 2020
- Bartholomew County: Jan. 28, 2020
- Wayne County: Feb. 11, 2020
- Cass County: TBD 2020
- Lake County, March 30 and 31, 2020
Please email OBNav@isdh.in.gov if you would like to receive specific event updates.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: Is the program available now?
A: ISDH is building the program and plans to roll it out to 20 high-risk counties beginning in January 2020.
Q: What counties are part of this?
A: During the first year, the OB Navigator program will roll out to 20 counties. These counties include the ZIP codes where babies have the highest risk of dying before their first birthdays. The counties also include those where there is a greater prevalence of especially high-risk factors that negatively impact an infant’s health. The OB Navigator program will begin initially in Allen, Bartholomew, Blackford, Cass, Clark, Crawford, Delaware, Dubois, Grant, Henry, Jay, Lake, LaPorte, Madison, Marion, Martin, Randolph, Shelby, St. Joseph and Wayne counties.
Q: What resources are available now?
A: Expectant women and new mothers from anywhere
in the state can call the MOMS Helpline at 1-844-MCH-MOMS (1-844-624-6667) to find resources available in their
communities. Additionally, pregnant women can sign up for the Liv app, the mobile app for anyone who is thinking about becoming pregnant, currently expecting or who recently became a parent. Liv is also available online at askliv.com.
Q. My organization provides home visiting services for pregnant women. How can we be a part of this?
A: Please email OBNav@isdh.in.gov and someone from the program will contact you.