Note: This message is displayed if (1) your browser is not standards-compliant or (2) you have you disabled CSS. Read our Policies for more information.
What is the HIV Prevention Counseling Training Course?
The HIV Prevention Counseling Course is a skills-based course for individuals working or volunteering as an HIV Prevention Counselor. Participants must be sponsored by a directly or indirectly state-funded counseling and testing site, or other state recognized agency and organization. Course curriculum includes:
- Development of capacity to implement all stages of pre- and post- test counseling, testing, partner and referral services.
- Develop knowledge and skills to engage clients in behavior change models to reduce client risks of acquiring or transmitting HIV, STD and/or Hepatitis.
- Increase awareness and utilization of policies and procedures pertaining to HIV.
*This course does not include venipuncture.
Who May Attend?Participants must be sponsored by a directly or indirectly state-funded counseling and testing site, or other state recognized agency or organization.
How Do I Apply?To register for this training, review and complete SF 53760 HIV Prevention Counselor Certification Course Registration form. For more information, call the HIV Prevention Training Manager at 317-233-7051.
What are the Requirements to Become Certified?The HIV Prevention Counselor Certification Course is a 4-day skills based training for those persons who will provide HIV prevention counseling, testing, referral, and partner elicitation services. Individuals must meet all pre-requisites and class requirements to become fully certified. Those requirements include the following.
- Pass the HIV Proficiency Test given on first day of Course.Course Requirements:
- Attend the entire course.
- Actively participate and demonstrate skills learned during the course
- Successfully complete the skills and assessment phase for Pre-certification.
Post Course Requirements:
- Complete 5 monitored counseling sessions within 1 month of course completion.
- Witness or give at least one positive HIV test result and appropriate referrals.
- Submit documentation of monitored counseling sessions to the Division of HIV/STD/Viral Hepatitis for full certification.
What Else Should I KnowThere is no charge for the course. Travel and other expenses are the responsibility of the sponsoring agency or participant.
An additional 2015 Training Date and Registration Deadline is as follows: