- Skip Navigation

Note: This message is displayed if (1) your browser is not standards-compliant or (2) you have you disabled CSS. Read our Policies for more information.

Amber Alert
Amber Alert - TEST

Indiana Protection & Advocacy Services

IPAS > Special Education > Individualized Special Education Program (IEP) Individualized Special Education Program (IEP)

What are related services?

Related services must be provided to your child so that he or she can benefit from special education instruction. Some services your child may require include but are not limited to:

  • Transportation
  • Speech pathology
  • Audiology
  • Psychological services (including psychotherapy)
  • Physical therapy
  • Occupational therapy
  • Recreation including therapeutic recreation
  • Social work services
  • Medical services for the purpose of diagnosing and evaluating the student
  • School nurse services designed to enable a child with a disability to receive FAPE
  • Rehabilitation counseling
  • Parent counseling and training
  • School health services
  • Counseling
  • Assistive technology devices or services
  • Orientation and mobility services.

If your child needs any of these services in order to benefit from his or her special education program, they must be provided at no cost to you. These services may be provided directly to your child, or indirectly, by having a professional work with your child's teacher and having the teacher work with your child.

All recommended services must be included in your child's IEP, specifying exactly how much of each service your child is to receive. If at any time the school system fails to provide the services stated in the IEP, you may request a due process hearing or mediation immediately or file a complaint with the State Department of Education. You should ask that the school system provide compensatory (make-up) services to your child for the time missed, unless it is your fault or your child's fault that the services were not provided.