Overview for Independent Verification and Validation (IV&V)
IOT established a Project Review Policy for the requirements governing the review of IT development projects. The goal of the project review is to identify and mitigate problems with large IT projects as early in the project as possible to minimize their impact. This policy requires independent verification and validation for large IT development projects.
All projects with $10,000,000 or more in IT development services or that are longer than twelve (12) months in duration must have an IV&V conducted by IOT or an independent 3rd party. This will include a review of the documented detailed business requirements that will be used in the bid for a new application or an upgrade of an existing application. This review will ensure the accuracy of the bid to mitigate flawed business requirements in the proposal bid request resulting in costly amendments after engagement begins. The Project also will be required to engage with IOT or a separate 3rd party vendor to employ metrics with weekly updates through project completion in order to provide visibility to all parties on project status and issues. The IV&V may also include:
- Verifying the process for reporting project status
- Verifying the process for stakeholder communication
- Verifying the testing process
- Verifying the quality control process
- Verifying the change control process
- Validating the commitment of the major stakeholders
- Validating the business and technical requirements
- Validating the project plan
- Validating the staffing plan
- Validating the time and cost estimate
- Validating the risk analysis and mitigation strategies
- Validating the communication plan validation
- Validating recommendations made by the (contractor) project manager
- Validating the test scripts
- Validating the post-completion project review
- Recommending changes to the project direction
To facilitate adherence to the Project Review Policy, IOT and IDOA issued RFP 11-59 for IV&V Services. As a result of this RFP, contracts were awarded to several contractors to provide quality IV&V services. The contractors and their rates are at IV&V Rates by Vendor.
These contracts are available to state agencies and other governmental bodies in Indiana.
Process for Securing IV&V Services
- The Project Sponsor in the agency completes the IV&V Work Requirements form.
- The Project Sponsor emails the IV&V Work Requirements form to the IOT Director of Procurement (currently firstname.lastname@example.org).
- The IOT Director of Procurement will forward the IV&V Work Requirements with the due date for proposals to the vendors with an IV&V Services contract (IV&V Vendors).
- The IV&V Vendors submit their proposals to the IOT Director of Procurement.
- The IOT Director of Procurement reviews the proposals and forwards all proposals that meet the requirements to the Project Sponsor.
- The Project Sponsor reviews, interviews and selects the proposal best meeting the agency’s needs at the lowest cost, completes the IV&V Selection Justification form and forwards it to the IOT Director of Procurement.
- The IOT Director of Procurement reviews the IV&V Selection Justification form to ensure it is consistent with the IV&V Work Requirements and the submitted proposals.
- The IOT Director of Procurement notifies the vendor of the selected proposal and sends it the IV&V Selection Justification.
- The IOT Director of Procurement notifies the other vendors that their proposals were not selected and sends them the IV&V Selection Justification.
- The IOT Director of Procurement prepares the IV&V Work Order form, with the deliverables and costs identified, attaches the selected proposal and sends it to the Vendor.
- The selected Vendor signs the IV&V Work Order and forwards it to the Project Sponsor.
- The Project Sponsor or authorized agency representative signs the IV&V Work Order and forwards it to the IOT Director of Procurement.
- The IOT Director of Procurement signs the IV&V Work Order, scans a copy of it and sends the scanned copy to the selected Vendor and the Project Sponsor.
- The Project Sponsor requests that the agency procurement area enter a requisition into Encompass (PeopleSoft) e-Procurement and process to a Purchase Order (P.O.) for the project.
- When the P.O. is dispatched, the Vendor may begin work on the project.
- When a Deliverable is completed, the Vendor will submit an invoice for the Deliverable to the Project Sponsor.
- The Project Sponsor will approve the Deliverable and forward the invoice to the Agency Accounts Payable area for payment.
- Changes to the Deliverables, cost or schedule on the IV&V Work Order will require an IV&V Change Order form to be processed. The IV&V Change Order will require the same approvals as described above.
Documents and Links for IV&V Services
Project Review Policy
IV&V Rates by Vendor
IV&V Work Requirements
IV&V Selection Justification
IV&V Work Order
IV&V Change Order