Start a School
In accordance with Indiana Charter Schools Law as described within IC § 20-24, the Indiana Charter School Board ("ICSB") is pleased to invite proposals for quality charter schools seeking to operate in the state of Indiana. The ICSB holds two application cycles per year: one in the Spring and one in the Fall.
The ICSB is committed to the highest levels of quality for itself and the schools it authorizes. The work of the ICSB is guided by five core principles:
- Students First. When performing its duties, the ICSB always assesses whether its actions will further the best interests of students.
- High Expectations. The ICSB expects the charter schools it authorizes to set high academic achievement expectations, develop strong plans for family and community engagement, and adhere to high ethical standards for students, staff and board members. Similarly, the ICSB establishes high performance expectations, engagement plans and ethical standards for itself.
- Excellence in Leadership. Operating a high-performing charter school requires excellent leadership from school boards and staff. The ICSB authorizes schools that can demonstrate strong leadership at both the school governance and administrative levels.
- Commitment to Innovation. The ICSB is particularly interested in operators that show strong potential to accelerate student success through dramatically different school models, instructional strategies, uses of technology, staffing models, governance arrangements, family and community engagement strategies, and other approaches.
- Rigorous and Transparent Accountability. The ICSB holds schools accountable for performance through rigorous and transparent accountability mechanisms that uphold schools’ autonomy, foster excellence, and protect student and public interests. In turn, the ICSB is held to a high performance bar by the State Board of Education.
In creating its application materials, the ICSB has benchmarked with successful charter school authorizers from around the country. Every effort has been made to establish a rigorous, transparent and streamlined application review process. When assessing applicant qualifications and capacity, the ICSB will draw upon the expertise of its staff and external evaluators experienced with charter school application reviews. The final decision on all charter school applications will be made by the appointed members of the Indiana Charter School Board.
Prior to submitting a Letter of Intent, potential applicants are encouraged to carefully review the ICSB’s vision, mission, guiding principles and accountability system. The ICSB seeks to authorize charter schools in which students achieve high levels of growth and graduate prepared for college and careers. As such, each application will be carefully evaluated for its alignment with the ICSB’s core principles and compliance with applicable law. To learn more about the ICSB's application evaluation process, please click here. Only those applicants that can demonstrate the capacity to operate high-performing charter schools will receive charters from the Indiana Charter School Board.
As you review the application materials, please feel free to contact the ICSB Manager, Sarah McClamroch Sullivan, at (317) 232-0964 or at email@example.com with any questions. The ICSB staff is committed to responding in a timely manner. Thank you for your interest in the Indiana Charter School Board.