Washington County Courthouse / Salem Downtown Historic District
Location: North side of Washington County Courthouse, Salem. (Washington County, Indiana)
Erected 1998 Indiana Historical Bureau and Washington County Community Foundation.
ID# : 88.1998.1
County formed 1814 by General Assembly of Indiana Territory. Commissioners selected county seat and named it Salem. This third courthouse completed 1888 using locally quarried limestone. Designed in Richardsonian Romanesque Style by Harry P. McDonald, Louisville. Listed in National Register of Historic Places, 1980.
Town platted 1814; historic district area includes original plat. Continues as geographical, governmental, business, and social center of county. Nineteenth and early twentieth century commercial buildings-in Italianate, Gothic, and Classical styles-surround public square. Listed in National Register of Historic Places 1997.
Historic District, Neighborhoods, and Towns, Buildings and Architecture, Government Institutions