St John's Lutheran Church Tolleston
Location: 2235 W. 10th Avenue at Taft Avenue, SE corner, Gary. (Lake County, Indiana)
(no credit line)
ID# : 45.1976.1
St. John's Church, the oldest surviving institution in Gary and north of the Little Calumet River, began with the work of the Rev. Henry Wunder in the early 1860's. He regularly came from Chicago by horse and buggy. Baptism records date from 1863; the first church was built on this site in 1868 or 1869; 1870 is celebrated as date of organization. The church served German immigrants to Tolleston (named for George Tolle who came in 1856). Tolleston was annexed to Gary in 1910.
Religion, Immigration and Ethnic Groups