Second Baptist Church
Location: 1328 9th Street, at Reed Street, Columbus (Bartholomew County), Indiana 47201
Erected 1998 Indiana Historical Bureau, Cummins Engine Foundation, and Historic Landmarks Foundation of Indiana.
ID# : 03.1998.2
DRAFT Marker Review Report: Learn more here.
Note: Second Baptist Church leaders moved the marker to the side of the building and added a second local marker (not installed by the Indiana Historical Bureau)
Congregation was formed in 1879; reorganized in 1882 by the Reverend John R. Miller and a core of determined members. The present building, formerly a theatre, was acquired in 1913. This African-American church, like many others, has served its members as an educational and social foundation as well as a religious institution.
African American, Religion