Forks of Wabash
Location: Business US 24/ W. Park Drive, east of SR 9 junction, Huntington. (Huntington County, Indiana)
Society of Indiana Pioneers
ID# : 35.1972.1
The junction of the Wabash and Little rivers, 100 yards south, was the western terminus of the Maumee-Wabash long portage and, in 1835, of the first section of the Wabash and Erie Canal. During the 18th century French and English traders passed this way and, in 1778, Henry Hamilton brought 171 British troops and 350 Indians with 40 boats through the portage enroute to retake Fort Sackville at Vincennes. Three Miami villages were located here and Chiefs Richardville and LaFontaine once lived here. The Forks was the scene of many Indian councils and the Miami Treaties of 1834, 1838 and 1840.
American Indian/Native American, Transportation, Business, Industry, and Labor