First Indiana Gas Well
Location: Norsemen Park in front of town hall at 600 East Harris Street, Eaton. (Delaware County, Indiana)
Placed by the Indiana Historical Bureau under grant from Panhandle Eastern Pipe Line Company
ID# : 18.1981.1
The first significant commercial gas well came in Sept.15, 1886, near here south of the Mississinewa River and East of the railroad, ushering in the gas boom era. Almeron H. Crannell, a Civil War veteran and later resident of Hartford City, drilled the well.
Business, Industry, and Labor, Nature and Natural Disasters