Language Translation
  Close Menu

Muscatatuck Park

Muscatatuck 2020 Side One Muscatatuck 2020 Side Two

Location: CR 325 N & SR 7 at park entrance, North Vernon (Jennings County), Indiana) 47265

Installed 2020 Indiana Historical Bureau and Jennings County Parks and Recreation Department

ID#: 40.2020.1


Side one

Recognized for its natural beauty and recreational potential, Vinegar Mills State Park opened in 1921 as Indiana's fourth state park. Initially named after a stone-cutting mill here, it became Muscatatuck State Park in 1922. The Works Progress Administration and Civilian Conservation Corps built shelters, stairways, a fire tower, trails, and retaining walls in the 1930s.

Side two

The nearby home of William Read, owner of the stone-cutting mill, became an inn for the park. Quail were raised in the park from 1954-1962 and it was renamed Muscatatuck State Park and Game Farm. A state youth camp began here in 1962. In 1968, the State returned the park to Jennings County for recreational uses. Walnut Grove Schoolhouse (1913) was moved here in 1990.