Indiana University Northwest
Location: Indiana University Northwest, Anderson Library Conference Center, 3400 Broadway, Gary (Lake County), Indiana 46408.
Installed 2021 Indiana Historical Bureau and the Trustees of Indiana University
By 1921, Indiana University offered courses in Lake County, later establishing extension centers in the Calumet Region. As manufacturing jobs in the area drew Black Americans from the South and European and Latino immigrants, IU offered affordable night classes and industrial coursework to meet the educational needs of a diverse student body.
A new Gary Center building opened in 1959, which became the campus’s current site. In 1963, the Gary Center and Calumet Center merged as the Northwest Campus of IU. In 1967, the school held its first commencement ceremony. Part of a 1968 statewide reorganization, it was renamed Indiana University Northwest. IU School of Medicine added a regional center here in 1972.
Education & Library