Battle of Corydon July 9 1863
MARKER UNDER REVIEW
Location: 300 N. Capitol, SW corner of Harrison County Courthouse lawn, Corydon. (Harrison County, Indiana)
Erected by the Society of Indiana Pioneers, 1961
ID# : 31.1961.1
A force of about 400 Indiana militia and citizen volunteers commanded by Col. Lewis Jordan, engaged John Hunt Morgan's raiders, 2, 400 cavalry, along a wooded ridge a mile south of Corydon. The determined Hoosier defense caused General Duke, Morgan's second in command, to comment, "They resolutely defended their rail piles." Three Hoosiers and eight Confederates were killed. Morgan then brought up his cannon and flanked the militia forcing Jordan to retreat. After Morgan surrounded and began shelling Corydon, Jordan surrendered with 345 men.