Language Translation
  Close Menu

Wholesale Manufactured Foods Safety Program

The Wholesale Manufactured Foods Program is committed to minimizing food safety risks by conducting routine inspections of food manufacturers and distributors, investigating consumer complaints, providing certificates of free sale to businesses in good standing and providing consultation to the public, industry and partners.

Frequently Asked Questions

  • Can I start a wholesale food business out of my house?

    A separate kitchen or facility may be built in the home with an entrance leading directly from that room to the outside. A basement, converted garage or building not used for any other purpose may be an acceptable option. Building codes and zoning laws must also be considered. It is best to contact the wholesale food protection program to determine if your particular home design is acceptable.

  • What is an approved kitchen?

    An approved kitchen is a facility that is inspected by either the State Health Department or local health department and adheres to the Wholesale Food Code, if a wholesale facility, and the Retail Food Establishment Sanitation Requirements, if a retail facility. Food establishments that are both wholesale and retail must follow both sets of rules which are very similar.

  • Do I need a license for my business? Is there a fee involved?

    The State of Indiana does not license wholesale food establishments. All wholesale facilities must register with this department using State Form 13054 at least 30 days prior to opening. This registration must be submitted along with any needed product testing, HACCP plan, and training documentation as needed. There is no fee involved with registration. If the facility changes location or changes ownership a new registration must be submitted reflecting the change.

  • Do I need to contact my local health department?

    It is not necessary for wholesale facilities to contact their local health department. However, if you intend to sell any of your products at retail, you must notify your local health department. They will provide the Retail Food Establishment Sanitation Requirements.