Language Translation
  Close Menu

Interested in opening a sub-acute stabilization facility

In order to open a sub-acute stabilization facility, you need to be certified by the Division of Mental Health and Addiction as an addiction treatment services provider, have regular certification, be a community mental health center or a residential care provider.

The steps to open a facility are as follows:

  1. The work with all of these agencies below can be done in tandem.
    • Department of Homeland Security handles facility plan review and fire code review. Visit the plan review site to file a construction design review. Should you have any questions along the way or call 317-232-2222.
    • Zoning - Local zoning includes city or county authorities; all zoning inquiries and submissions are handled by the provider. DMHA needs documentation from the local authority to confirm your facility is properly zoned to operate. (If your facility is in Marion County, please submit the affidavit of application to the Indianapolis Department of Business & Neighborhood Services. They will send approval to you and to us.)
    • Indiana State Department of Health handles kitchen review and septic systems.
    • The Division of Mental Health and Addiction handles the certification of your sub-acute facility. Begin the process by visiting the provider certification and licensure page to complete the application process. Should you have questions about the certification process, please email or by calling 317-232-7800.
  2. Once your CDR has been approved and you have all of the furnishings and staff in the building, DMHA can trigger an “occupancy inspection” to DHS.
  3. You cannot have residents in your facility until you have no violations on the occupancy inspection, ISDH has issued their letter of approval, DMHA has received the appropriate zoning paperwork, and you have received your DMHA sub-acute certificate.