Larue Carter Hospital
Larue D. Carter Memorial Hospital has served inpatients with persistent and severe mental illness from all across Indiana since 1948. In 1996, the hospital moved to its current location at 2601 Cold Spring Road, formerly a VA Medical Center facility. The hospital has a three-fold mission of providing specialized treatment, education and research. The hospital serves as a training site for psychiatric residents and medical students, psychology post-docs and interns, nursing students, social work students, rehabilitation therapy students, chaplains planning a career in healthcare, and EMT’s. In terms of research, the IU Psychotic Disorders clinic is located here. The clinic conducts pharmacological research with the hope of having new medications developed which will be even more effective, with fewer negative side effects, in the treatment of severe and chronic mental illnesses.
The hospital is accredited by The Joint Commission (TJC) and certified by the Center for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS). In order to obtain TJC accreditation, the hospital must demonstrate high quality of care as measured against a large number of quality standards in the course of a triennial on-site survey and annual self-reports. CMS certification is also based on attaining a certain level of quality of care which allows the hospital to receive reimbursement through the Medicaid and Medicare programs.