Close Menu

Main Content

Agency Main Banner Content

Attention: Effective May 26, 2020, the MCS customer walk-in center will be available for appointment only service. Motor carrier customers can begin scheduling appointments beginning May 20.

Learn More

General Information

Registration Reminder: Indiana DOR issued IRP and BPR annual registrations expired on March 31, 2020, or April 30, 2020, were extended until May 31, 2020. Any delayed registrations and/or payments must have an effective renewed registration submitted by June 1, 2020.

Fuel Tax Reminder: Quarterly motor carrier fuel tax returns for the first quarter that were normally due April 30, 2020, are due May 31, 2020. 

More Info

The Motor Carrier Services (MCS) department is a specialized business unit within DOR providing support to motor carrier companies and commercial drivers through the administration of state and federal laws that govern the commercial use of Indiana’s roads. Utilizing custom systems for online customer transactions and operating a variety of phone, email, chat and customer service operations, MCS manages the International Fuel Tax Agreement, International Registration Plan, oversize/overweight vehicle permitting, Unified Carrier Registration and the issuing of US DOT numbers.

Motor Carrier Insurance Coverage

MCS Forms

Frequently Asked Questions


MCS Carrier Connect
Read the latest issue here.

Customer Service

Effective May 20, 2020, motor carrier customers can begin scheduling appointments for the MCS customer walk-in center for service starting May 26. In-person service will be limited to transactions that cannot be efficiently performed via telephone or online:

  • Payments for transactions that could not be made over the telephone or online; and
  • Picking up plates and decals that cannot otherwise be mailed.

Make your appointment online or by calling 317-615-7200, Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. – 4:30 p.m. EST.

Customers who arrive at Motor Carrier Services without an appointment or who need assistance other than pickup or payment will may requested to make an appointment. Same-day appointments may not be available. 

Service kiosks located within the MCS customer service center will be unavailable.

Businesses with commercial vehicles can easily renew plates with our streamlined process.

Learn More

Businesses operating motor vehicles over 26,001 pounds in the state of Indiana must file a fuel tax return.

Learn More

Registered carriers may obtain one plate and registration cab card to travel in multiple states at specific weights.

Learn More

Obtain an oversize and/or overweight vehicle permit before traveling on Indiana roads.

Learn More

Commercial motor vehicles may apply for USDOT numbers and file for UCR.

Learn More

MCS Online Services

Electronic Logging Device:

The congressionally mandated electronic logging device (ELD) rule makes tracking, managing and sharing driving records with law enforcement more straightforward and faster. Howerver, most ELDs fall short when it comes to paying and documenting fuel taxes and IRP. See DOR's guidance on ELDs and audit tips to help ensure you keep accurate records.


Special Permit for Transporting COVID-19 Emergency Preparedness & Relief Supplies/Services

On April 9, the Indiana Department of Transportation (INDOT) issued a revised letter serving as a special overweight vehicle permit in response to the need for emergency preparedness and relief supplies/services as a result of COVID-19.

Effective April 21, agricultural products intended for emergency response or relief are eligible to travel overweight under the emergency permit. The permit restricts the size and weight of the vehicles to legal dimensions and 90,000lbs GVW. Haulers will be required to contact the DOR to obtain the permit. More information and guidelines are contained in the permit letter which must be kept in the permitted vehicle at all times. The permit is not valid after June 4. 

To receive a permit letter, contact DOR's Oversize/Overweight (OSOW) team at (317) 615-7320 or email indianaOSW@dor.in.gov.

IRP Electronic Cab Cards

Effective Jan. 1, 2019, IRP cab cards will be available in an electronic image format. All U.S. states and Canadian provinces will be required to accept electronic images of the IRP cab cards. For the first year, you may want to continue carrying your paper credentials.

When stopped by law enforcement, credentials may be shown as an electronic image. Choosing to provide credentials by electronic device may require an officer or official to briefly take possession of the device to verify the validity of the credential.

Regardless of the format, the document must be accurate, accessible and readable by law enforcement. We suggest storing the document as a PDF on an electronic device in each vehicle to ensure access to documentation while in areas with no service or Wi-Fi.

OSW - Change to Permitting Requirements for Fluid Milk Products -- A recent change in federal law declared vehicles carrying fluid milk products to be non-divisible loads. As a result, Indiana is no longer able to issue Overweight Commodity Permits for these vehicles. Vehicles carrying fluid milk products with a GVW greater than 80,000 pounds must obtain standard Overweight Permits for travel in Indiana; all requirements, limitations, permit provisions and permit fees for standard Overweight Permits apply.

Biennial Updates -- Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) requires all entities under its jurisdiction to update their information every two years. You are required to provide this update every two years even if your company has not changed its information, has ceased interstate operations since the last update, or is no longer in business and you did not notify FMCSA.


Additional Notices

MCS Contact Information

IRP Services

(317) 615-7340

OSW Services

(317) 615-7320

IFTA/MCFT (Fuel Tax) Services

(317) 615-7345

USDOT and UCR Services

(317) 615-7350



News and FAQs

Top FAQs