An amber alert has been issued. Click here to visit the Amber Alert site. MESSAGE


Agency Links Links

Main Content

Featured Content

New Legislation Affecting Motor Carrier Services

New Legislation Affecting Motor Carrier Services

Read a brief summary of the legislative changes that were approved by the 2018 Indiana General Assembly.

General Information

NOTE: The Oversize/Overweight permits and bridge fees have changed. Go here for more information.

The Motor Carrier Services (MCS) Division is a specialized business unit within DOR providing support to motor carrier companies and commercial drivers through the administration of state and federal laws that govern the commercial use of Indiana’s roads. Utilizing custom systems for online customer transactions and operating a variety of phone, email, chat and customer service operations, MCS manages the International Fuel Tax Agreement, International Registration Plan, oversize/overweight vehicle permitting, Unified Carrier Registration and the issuing of US DOT numbers.  


2018 Legislative Changes

A number of DOR-related legislative changes were approved by the 2018 Indiana General Assembly. Below is a brief summary of the legislation affecting the Motor Carrier Services Division. Please contact us if you have questions.

Bulk Milk Permits – House Enrolled Act (HEA) 252

Effective July 1, 2018, annual bulk milk permits will be:

  • Required for loads up to 100,000 lbs. gross vehicle weight (GVW) based on the total equivalent single axle load;
  • Available to approved applicants with calculations less than or equal to 2.40 equivalent single axle loads (ESALs); and
  • Available for $20 annually.

Regular single trip oversize/overweight permits are available for bulk milk carriers with:

  • ESALs greater than 2.40 or with loads greater than 100,000 lbs. GVW.

For more information, click here. Please call 317-615-7230 if you have questions. 

Special Fuel Excise Tax and Motor Carrier Fuel Tax Rate Changes – House Enrolled Act (HEA) 1290

Effective July 1, 2018, the Special Fuel tax rate will increase to $0.48/gallon for purchases of special fuel and alternative fuel, and the Motor Fuel tax rate will increase to $0.29/gallon for purchases of gasoline products. For information on the authority and calculation of these fuel tax rates, click here. Please call 317-615-7345 if you have questions. 

Legislative Changes Affecting Proportional Use Credit  – House Enrolled Act (HEA) 1290

Effective July 1, 2018, recordkeeping for carriers claiming Proportional Use Credit (PUC) is changing. Fuel purchase details for which PUC will be claimed must include the type of fuel purchased. This information will be needed to file PUC claims starting in the 3rd quarter, 2018.  For more information, click here. Please call 317-615-7345 if you have questions. 

Insurance Requirements – House Enrolled Act (HEA) 1301

Effective July 1, 2018, the minimum amount of insurance required for contract carriers that transport railroad employees will be at least $5 million. You will need to:

  • Notify your insurance company by July 1, 2018 to obtain the required insurance amount;
  • Ask your insurance company to provide Form E (MC 2401) to DOR; and 
  • Provide a new contract to DOR with increased coverage by July 1, 2018.

For more information, click here. Please call 317-615-7285 if you have questions. 

Drivers transporting propane: Motor carriers and drivers transporting propane in Indiana are exempt from regulations restricting their hours of service (IC 8-2.1-24-18) until January 10, 2018 per Executive Order 17-32.

House Enrolled Act 1002-2017 introduces Hybrid, Electric and Transportation Infrastructure Improvement Fees.

House Enrolled Act 1002-2017 introduces changes to inventory tax and registration fees.

All New IRP/BPR Accounts visiting the Customer Service Center will need to be in the office prior to 2:00 p.m, and all necessary supporting documentation and documents must be completed prior to your visit. Service Providers may visit prior to 12:00p.m. For questions regarding this please contact IRP/BPR at 317-615-7340.

OSW - Holiday Travel Restriction -- Vehicles with Overweight Commodity Permits are no longer subject to holiday travel restrictions and may travel continuously during holiday periods. Overweight Commodity Permits apply to those vehicles with a permit to haul metal commodities up to 120,000 pounds or agricultural commodities up to 97,000 pounds. All other permitted oversize and/or overweight vehicles remain subject to all holiday travel restrictions.

OSW - Change to Permitting Requirements for Fluid Milk Products -- A recent change in federal law declared vehicles carrying fluid milk products to be non-divisible loads. As a result, Indiana is no longer able to issue Overweight Commodity Permits for these vehicles. Vehicles carrying fluid milk products with a GVW greater than 80,000 pounds must obtain standard Overweight Permits for travel in Indiana; all requirements, limitations, permit provisions and permit fees for standard Overweight Permits apply.

Biennial Updates -- Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) requires all entities under its jurisdiction to update their information every two years. You are required to provide this update every two years even if your company has not changed its information, has ceased interstate operations since the last update, or is no longer in business and you did not notify FMCSA.


Additional Notices