As the state motto "The Crossroads of America" suggests, Indiana is a major thoroughfare of both hazardous and non-hazardous commodities, along highway, rail, and pipeline. Indiana has more than eleven thousand miles of highway roads, including 14 interstate highways: I-64, I-65, I-69, I-70, I-74, I-80, I-90, I-94, I-164, I-264, I-465, I-469, and I-865, as well as houses major east-west mainlines for Norfolk Southern and CSX rail lines. As such, shipments of radioactive materials and waste are constantly traveling in and across our state.
Indiana is a major corridor for shipments of Highway Route Control Quantity (HRCQ) radioactive material being transported to other parts of the county and to ports for international transport. Indiana also provides a corridor for transportation of low-level radioactive waste across the country via the 14 interstates within the state, especially I-80 and I-70. In 2013, the State of Indiana, along with response partners in Fort Wayne and New Haven, IN, participated in an exercise involving a cask of spent nuclear fuel with the Navel Nuclear Propulsion Program being transported via the Norfolk Southern line that is being proposed for use.
Indiana Codes 10-14-8 and 10-14-9 requires any shipment of low-level radioactive waste, high-level radioactive waste, spent nuclear fuel, and/or HRCQ radioactive material be permitted before traveling in Indiana.
Radiological response training is available to first responders upon request to Indiana Homeland Security’s Radiation Programs. Please email email@example.com about radiological response training.
- The Council of State Governments' Midwestern Radioactive Materials Transportation Project
- Federal Railroad Administration
- National Transportation Stakeholders Forum
- Nuclear Waste Policy Act
- Office of Packaging and Transportation
- Planning Guide for Shipments of Radioactive Material through Midwestern States
- Transportation Emergency Preparedness Program
- U.S. Department of Energy
- U.S. Department of Transportation
- U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission