DCS needs attorneys
What are we looking for?
Incumbent provides legal advice and legal services to the Department for all matters relating to Child Welfare and to represent the Department in administrative and/ or court matters. The attorney will be responsible for representing the State in Child In Need of Services (CHINS) cases, Termination of Parental Rights (TPR), and other general legal issues relating to safety and permanency for children. The incumbent will work closely with Family Case Managers to prepare for court hearings.
- Advises the Department of Child Services staff on various program and legal areas as assigned;
- Drafts and reviews correspondence;
- Performs legal research and writing assignments;
- Provides general legal support for Office of General Counsel;
- Conducts legal training for Family Case Managers, attorneys and others as requested;
- Litigates Children in Need of Services and Termination of Parental Rights cases in State Courts representing the agency in such actions;
- Handles administrative matters and hearings as assigned;
- Organizes and manages caseload in preparation of hearings and/or litigation;
- Generates appropriate pleadings, motions and discovery, and responses;
- Delegates to and provides support for any legal support staff;
- May be required to participate in committees, groups or teams such as screen out committees;
- And performs other duties as assigned.
Qualifications (Preferred Experience):
Admission to the Indiana State Bar.
Doctorate of Jurisprudence; Indiana Bar Admission; license in good standing; strong legal research, writing, and litigation skills; strong communication and public speaking skills; and demonstrated knowledge and ability to apply relevant statutes, case law and rules.
Benefits of being a Staff Attorney:
* Immediate litigation/ trial experience
* No billable hours
* Eligible for Public Service Loan Forgiveness
* Paid continuing legal education
* State provided malpractice insurance
* Able to make case presentation decisions
View current openings for DCS attorneys.