How Do I Prepare for My Visit to the BMV?
Before you arrive at your local branch, be sure to:
Have your photo ID ready
Confirm you have all required documents for your transaction(s)
Check your local branch hours
When you arrive at the branch, an associate will check you in. If you need assistance or have an appointment, please make sure to let the associate know at check-in. As a reminder, you are not required to visit the branch in your county, you may go to any branch in the state.
Transactions Available at a Branch
- Knowledge Exams*
- Commercial Driver License
- New Driver License, Learner Permit, or Identification Card**
- Renew Driver License, Learner Permit, or Identification Card
- Amend a Current Driver License, Learner Permit, or Identification Card
- Replacement Driver License, Learner Permit, or Identification Card
- Title Transfer
- Update to an Existing Title
- New Registration
- Disability Placard
- Registration Renewal
- Registration Amendment
- Duplicate Registration
- Duplicate Title
*You must arrive at the branch and begin your computer-based exam no less than 30 minutes prior to close.
**If a driving test is required, you must schedule in advance.
How to Make a Branch Appointment
If you need to schedule an appointment, please utilize the links below. If you have a scheduled appointment, please make sure you arrive at the branch prior to the appointment start time. If you are unsure of your appointment or if you need to cancel your appointment, please use the Lookup Tool.
- Multiple members of a household (i.e. spouses or minors): Each person in a household needing to complete transactions at a branch MUST have separate appointments or individually use walk-in service.
- Out-of-state licenses or no driver's license: If you're license is from another state or you don't have a license/ID card, please type 10 zeros in the "Driver's License Field" in the Appointment System.
- Only one customer will be permitted per transaction. If you require assistance to complete your transaction or are a minor, support staff or a family member may accompany you.
How to Cancel an Appointment
The BMV has a maximum number of appointments it can take each day. We ask that if you cannot make your appointment you take time to cancel it. You can cancel an appointment by:
- Logging in to the Appointment Scheduler
- Select ‘Cancel Appointment’
- Enter your confirmation number and last name
- Follow the prompts to cancel
- Are appointments required for driving skills exams?
Yes, appointments are required for driving skills exams and must be scheduled a minimum of 48 hours and maximum of 3 weeks in advance. The scheduler will be updated daily. Be sure to review the requirements for taking a driving skills exam and what to expect during your exam.
- Are appointments required for the written knowledge test?
You do not need to schedule an appointment for a written test. But, be sure to arrive at the branch at least one hour before it closes to take the written test that day.
- How do I renew my registration if I can’t do it at the branch or I haven’t received my renewal notice?
- My license plates have expired and my local BMV branch is closed, what should I do?
- I bought a new car and the dealer sent me a title application along with instructions to visit a BMV branch for registering the vehicle. Do I have other options?
- My registrations are expiring but I’m required to get an emissions test done first. Can I renew now and get my emissions test later?
An emissions test is still required before renewal. Visit their website for more information.
- Do I have to renew my driver's license in the branch?
You must visit a branch for every other license renewal. If your previous renewal transaction was completed in a BMV branch, you may renew online.