Proving Your Social Security Number
You need one document to prove your Social Security number when you apply for a new driver’s license, permit or identification card.
- View the Real ID interactive document guide
- Download a list of all acceptable documents
- Lista de documentos requeridos para Real ID
The full list of documents proving your Social Security number includes:
- Social Security card.
- W-2 form.
- SSA-1099 form.
- Non-SSA-1099 form.
- Pay stub with your name and Social Security number on it.
- Social Security Administration documents establishing that you are ineligible for a Social Security number.
Submitting Acceptable Documents
The BMV will only accept original documents or certified copies from the issuing agency. The BMV may refuse any document appearing to be fraudulent, unreliable, altered, or expired. All documents must be in English or be presented with a verifiably accurate English translation. Your legal name and date of birth on documents presented to the BMV must match Social Security Administration records.
- Call the BMV toll-free at 1-888-myBMV-411 (1-888-692-6841) and speak with a customer service representative for help.
- Visit the Social Security Administration for more information