- Skip Navigation

Note: This message is displayed if (1) your browser is not standards-compliant or (2) you have you disabled CSS. Read our Policies for more information.

Bureau of Motor Vehicles

myBMV > Titles Titles

A completed certificate of title is evidence of vehicle ownership. In Indiana, all motor vehicles, trailers, mobile homes and recreational vehicles must be titled. If you have recently purchased a vehicle with an Indiana title, or received as a gift a vehicle with an Indiana title, you must title it in your own name within 31 days.

Indiana's Sales Tax

Indiana's sales tax is seven percent on any newly-purchased vehicle. If a vehicle is purchased from a dealership, the dealer will collect the sales tax. If a vehicle is sold privately, the sales tax must be paid at a license branch when the purchaser titles the vehicle.

Motorists who purchase a vehicle from an out-of-state dealer or individual will receive credit for taxes paid in the other state. If the motorist paid less than seven percent (7%) they will need to pay the difference to Indiana.

Paying Off a Lien

If you have paid off a loan used to purchase a vehicle and have received a lien release from your vehicle’s lienholder, you need to amend the title to remove the lien.  Visit any license branch with your lien release to apply for a new title.

Ordering Replacement Titles

A replacement title may be purchased using any of the options listed below.  You must provide an unexpired photo ID (driver's license; state-issued ID; school; military; bank card; passport; probation card; work ID; membership card):

When using one of these options, you can choose to have the title expedited to your location, for an additional fee, using BMV’s speed title service.  When a speed title is ordered, it is mailed using FedEx ground service or United States Postal Service (USPS) Priority Mail, depending on the delivery address.

  • Indiana street addresses are delivered via FedEx ground service
  • Indiana post office boxes are delivered via USPS Priority Mail
  • All out-of-state addresses are delivered via USPS Priority Mail

See the fee chart to determine the cost.

Adding or Removing Names on a Title

You may add another name to a title in order to establish joint ownership of a vehicle. You may also remove names from a title with proper documentation.

Affidavit of Ownership

Customers who cannot obtain a properly executed title from a seller may apply for a title through Affidavit of Ownership

Salvage Vehicles

A salvage title is required for a motor vehicle, motorcycle, semi-trailer, or recreational vehicle that has been wrecked or damaged.

A Certificate of Authority is necessary for a person who owns a vehicle that has a title that is faulty, lost, or destroyed.  Also, the possessor of an abandoned vehicle may apply to the BMV for a Certificate of Authority to sell, give away, or dispose of the vehicle for scrap metal. 

Application for Repossession Title

Salvage Motor Vehicle Restoration

Mechanic's Lien

Abandoned Vehicles

  • Questions: Call the Customer Contact Center at 888-692-6841

Off-Road Vehicles

Application for Special Identification Number (MVIN or HIN)

All vehicles, manufactured homes, and watercraft in Indiana must have a vehicle identification number (VIN) or hull identification number (HIN) stamped or attached to the vehicle or watercraft. If the vehicle or watercraft does not have one, is assembled or changed, then a MVIN or HIN application must be completed.

Court Order Title Applications

School Bus and Special Purpose Bus Title Applications

Municipal Administrative and Law Enforcement Title Applications